Monday, June 22, 2015

Not pretty

I am writing a response to a video by nymisha. Go check out the brilliant video here. (I honestly would like to live in your head for a day, nymisha)

No. 
I know I am not pretty. I don't turn heads that are looking for long, dewy maidens whose laughter sparkles like soap bubbles I used to blow when I was young. I can't throw my head and toss my hair and catch the sun in my eyes because my eyes are like burnt charcoal. 

No, I am not pretty. 
Pretty is such a sharp word. A word that sounds like splinters. Like hard, cold, lifeless glass that pierces your soul. 

Pretty. Such a petty word.

No. I will not let me be defined by a word like pretty. I refuse to be known by such a heartless word. I am not a china doll.

So no, I am not just pretty.
 I am the sun the moon the stars. 
I am a monster.
A hideous one.
I am beautiful.
I am a Phoenix.
I may burn down, but then I will burn you down with me.
But I will rise from my ashes.

So, call me anything you want to. Just not pretty.

5 comments:

  1. I love this.
    Mind following back?

    -lostwherever (www.lostwhereverr.blogspot.in)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. this is brilliant niranjana.
    exactly the kind of response i was hoping to initiate.
    thank you so, so much. this means a lot to me.
    you are beautiful :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! <3
    It reminded me so much of a post I'd come across on Instagram! <3
    Stay awesome as ever,
    Keep writing,
    Much love,
    Archie <3

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love them!